- Keep all microphone cords and other computer cords out of reach of your child.
- Never leave your child unattended near microphone or computer cords.
Microsoft Windows executable
The babbleback machine is distributed as a single file installation-free executable. That means all you have to do is download the executable and run it. Take note of where you store the executable so you can get to it again when you want to run it. If you ever want to uninstall, then just delete the executable. It's that simple. Here it is step-by-step:
- Download the file babbleback.exe
- Execute the application by double clicking on it from Windows explorer
- Start talking into your microphone
Macintosh OS X executable
I don't have access to Mac OSX and have never seen or used one, so this is untested. Please give feedback on whether or not it works for you.
29May2005 Brian Theado - I have received feedback that Mac executable doesn't work and I haven't been able to figure out a way to fix it. I recommend trying the code from ChucK babbleback machine implementation instead of following the instructions below. I have had a report from a Mac user that the ChucK version works great.
- Download the file babbleback-macosx
- This file takes advantage of the Unix core that Mac OS X is built upon and may not be the most natural for you to use if you are only familar with the normal Aqua interface.
- In order to run it you have to know where on the filesystem you download it to.
- Once you've downloaded it, it may execute by just clicking on it (or whatever gesture is used on Macs for launching programs).
- If that doesn't work you can try running it via the Terminal application, which can be found in the /Applications/Utilities folder.
- Inside the Terminal program first run the following command to make the program executable:
chmod +x /path/to/the/program/babbleback-macosx
where "/path/to/the/program/" is replaced with the real path to which you downloaded the program
Then execute it by typing the following into the Terminal window:
If you don't have X11 installed (I'm not sure it is installed by default), you should see the following:
Speak into the microphone Hit Ctrl-c to exit
If you do have X11 installed, then you will see a window similar to the screenshot on the main page (The Babbleback machine).
Other Unix OS's
This program should run on most Unix platforms including Linux. Contact me (Brian Theado) for details.